I tried to make a lot of S’s baby food from scratch, using organic ingredients, but it was a CHORE using my old blender. It took a lot of steps since I had to cook it all till it was soft enough, fill the blender, empty the blender since I’d filled it too much and it wouldn’t puree, mash all the food down while trying not to spread it all over the kitchen, fill it again, and repeat almost indefinitely.
We had none of those issues with this baby food maker!
I decided to make applesauce, since that’s expensive to buy organic in the stores, and has previously been rather a pain to make at home. Peeling and chopping the apples was the greatest time investment on my part, but since my little girl spits out the peel (wherever she might be at the time btw), I normally peel them anyway. I peeled and chopped 3 small organic Fuji apples, since that’s what I had on hand, deposited them into the Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker, filled the water reservoir, and hit the start button. 17 minutes later, I had soft, steamed apples!
After letting the apples cool for a couple of minutes, I opened up the container and dumped the steamed apples onto the blade below. I then pureed them for under 10 seconds, and I had applesauce!
Easy peasy! Clean-up was a snap too, even though I decided not to use the dishwasher. (Ours is rather old and melts things on a regular basis, so I didn’t want to take any chances.)
I love that the Freshfoods Baby Food Maker steams the food and preserves the nutrients. I make my own baby food for several reasons:
1. I want to know exactly what’s in it! No mystery ingredients, sugar (high fructose corn syrup <gasp!>), or preservatives
2. Organic ingredients. I can avoid pesticides and GMO’s, plus I can make a lot more food for a fraction of the cost of buying pre-packaged food.
3. Fresh! I want the food to be as fresh as possible. Doesn’t get any fresher than made at home!
I never made meat baby food at home with my first two kiddos, but I’m looking forward to trying it, now that I’m armed with a good tool! The recipe book included several simple, yummy-sounding meat meals like Salmon with Carrots & Tomato, My First Fish Puree, Chicken with Sweet Potato and Apple, and more!
Specs for the NUK Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker:
• Dual-action function steams and blends food for quick, nutritious meals in
two easy steps
• Healthy steam cooking helps preserve vitamins and minerals
• Makes up to four meals at a time with large 32 oz bowl
• Double steamer basket separates food to help preserve flavors
• Beeps and stops automatically when ready
• With two texture options–smooth or chunky–you can use it for years as it
grows with your child
• Dishwasher safe and easy to clean
• Includes bonus smoothie blade so the whole family can enjoy
• Includes free recipe book with meal ideas from world-famous child nutrition
expert, Annabel Karmel
• Retails for $99.99, but for a limited time, a $20 coupon is available online
NUK is currently offering a $20 off coupon for a Freshfoods Cook-n-Blend Baby Food Maker for Renaissance Mama readers, and a $1 coupon for any accessories! They offer a handy freezer tray, Mash & Serve Bowl, Food Mill, Stackable Cubes, and Fill & Freeze Pops.
Follow NUK on Facebook to keep up with special offers and new releases!
I received this product for free from the sponsor of the Moms Meet program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms Meet SM blogger, I agreed to use this product and post my opinions on my blog. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC or the manufacturer of the product.Pin It