Try This SuperDrink!
In some ways, I feel like I’ve been holding out on you. I’ve written about a variety of topics since the inception of this blog, yet I’ve neglected writing on one topic that is very near and dear to my heart. Mostly because I wanted to do the topic justice, since it’s one I’m especially passionate about.
Let’s talk about raw milk. Yes, you can laugh. That was a lot of build up to talk about… milk.
Your first thought about raw milk may have been the same as mine when I first learned about it. “Isn’t drinking raw milk dangerous? There was a reason pasteurization was invented…”
You’re half right. Pasteurization came into use for raw products when industry developed. When products are mass-produced, packaged, shipped, and consumed miles from their origin, pasteurization is a necessary thing. It definitely saves lives.
Yet when milk can be consumed locally, the health benefits of raw milk far outweigh that of drinking pasteurized milk. In a conversation with “my” farmer this week, he shared that they haven’t had a single person get sick from their milk in the 50 years they’ve been milking cows.
It’s actually much more likely that one would get sick from drinking pasteurized milk. Raw milk has built in anti-microbial properties that actually help keep pathogens from growing in the milk. Pasteurization destroys those, so any pathogens that get into the milk after pasteurization can grow unhindered.
1. Digestion. Our bodies weren’t designed to digest pasteurized milk and pasteurization is directly linked to the rise in lactose intolerance. Many people who are lactose intolerant can drink raw cow’s milk without any trouble.
2. Immune Support. Pasteurization destroys all the bacteria in the milk – including good probiotics that our body needs to be healthy.
3. Good Fats. Raw milk is FULL of good fats. These fats are actually good for us, and absolutely essential for our bodies to function properly. Heart disease comes from trans fats and other bad fats, NOT from the good fats found in raw milk.
4. Free of junk! Raw milk is free of antiobiotics, hormones, and GMO’s!
5. Healing. Raw milk can actually be healing to our bodies. The Mayo clinic used to administer what they called the “Raw Milk Cure“, obtaining favorable results against cancer, weight loss, kidney disease, allergies, skin problems, urinary tract problems, prostate problems and chronic fatigue. If you’d like a recent story, this mom cured her Lyme disease by drinking only raw milk.
Two More Reasons
Two more reasons to drink raw milk – the picture at the top of this post is a cow I call Bessie. She’s a Brown Swiss dairy cow, and our milk comes from her. I love knowing that. She and the other Brown Swiss cows have been producing milk on this particular farm for over 50 years. She lives outside in a huge pasture, and wanders around being a cow with all her cow friends.
Along with all the health benefits, raw milk tastes AWESOME. It is rich, creamy, and so delicious.
Where To Find Raw Milk
Hopefully, you live in a state where it’s legal to drink raw milk. If you don’t, come visit me and we’ll get you some to try. RealMilk.com has a listing of dairy farms, both cow and goat milk, where you can get milk.
I was raised on raw/whole milk. We called it whole milk. My dad has milked cows at a couple different farms throughout my whole lifetime and he always brought milk home straight from the tank. I thought it was weird that people bought milk from the store. It was a very sad day when the farm that my dad currently milks for had to stop letting us drink their raw milk for legal reasons. Funny thing about lactose intolerance…I had to drink lactaid milk for quite a while after our family switched to store bought, processed milk. I still miss that straight from the tank milk!!