In the past, your options were limited. That has led rise to some ingenious solutions like growing a vegetable garden in your FRONT yard!
Give Aquaponics a Try!
1. No land required. You can do aquaponics on your kitchen, on your back porch, or in a parking lot. You can even set it up to run “off the grid” with no electricity required.
2. No chemicals required. Aquaponics is done entirely organically. This means it’s healthier for you AND cheaper than its well-known cousin, hydroponics.
3. No fish tank cleaning required!!! This is one of my favorite things about aquaponics. The waste that the fish produced is recycled to be used as fertilizer for the fish – you don’t want to clean it out!
4. Grow extra food! Once you get the hang of it, aquaponics can produce large harvests, particularly when you take into consideration the amount of land/square footage required.
A recent Kickstarter project, now offered by Back to the Roots, offers an economical way to get started, with no outside space required. They have now created version 2, with an improved plant tray, and a quieter fish pump.
They’ve included everything you need to get started, including:
* the tank and water pump
* organic seeds
* a coupon for the fish
* gravel for the tank
* fish food
* natural water treatment (to set up your tank)
You can get your aquaponics tank here: AquaFarm (The link here is to Amazon – free shipping and $4 less than directly from the company)
If you’re interested on aquaponics on a larger scale, check out Aquaponic Gardening: A Step by Step Guide to Raising Vegetables and Fish Together. It’s our favorite book on aquaponics. 🙂Pin It